Skip to main content

My Endometriosis FAQ

What is Endometriosis?

Endometriosis is gynaecological problem, where small pieces like the lining of the womb (uterus) are found elsewhere. Each month the lining of the womb builds up and shreds during menstruation. Instead of leaving the body, women with Endometriosis find that these chocolate like cysts migrate to other parts of the body. When stuck to other parts, these implants continue to break down and bleed. This causes inflammation, internal bleeding, pain from scar tissue and adhesions forming and overall, widespread chronic pain.

Where in the body is Endometriosis found?

Endometriosis can be found anywhere in your pelvis, ovaries, bladder, bowel, vagina, cervix, fallopian tubes, any tissues surrounding the uterus or the area between the womb and rectum (known as the Pouch of Douglas). In rare circumstances endometriosis can be found in places such as the lungs, brain and skin. But these are rare!

Personal experience: During my two laparoscopies, endometriosis has been found on my pelvis, my ovaries, my bowel, bladder and cervix.

How is it pronounced?

Trying to explain this chronic illness to people is hard enough without trying to explain how to pronounce the word itself! So to break it down, it is pronounced 'EN-DOH-MEE-TRI-OH-SIS'.

Who does it affect?

Endometriosis affects millions of women worldwide. It has been stated that 1 in 10 women suffer with endometriosis. The majority of women are diagnosed between the ages of 25 - 40, although symptoms can start much earlier than this. 

Personal experience: I was diagnosed when I was 23 years old. However, I have suffered from symptoms since around 16. Not knowing it was Endometriosis.

What are adhesions?

Endometriosis can cause scar tissue and adhesions. This tissue has been described as internal scars that can sometimes bind organs together. The more operations you have, the more scar tissue will develop inside. Check out www.adhesions.org


Personal experience: Adhesions had fused my stomach to my bowel and twisted it into a loop. This had to be undone during my second laparoscopy. During this operation my surgeon confirmed there were more adhesions found than cysts and the pain they can cause can be just as debilitating.

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms may differ from woman to woman, however below is a list I've complied of common symptoms. Bear in mind the level of pains from endo does not always correspond with the amount or size of the endometriosis implants a woman may have. Some women may have a small amount of cysts with excruciating pain. Others may have it and experience minimal or no pain. Some women experience pain with their cycles. Others can suffer all month long.
  • Chronic or intermittent pelvic pain (Stabbing pains, shooting pains, cramps, twisting or pulling sensations, dull aches, sharp pains etc)
  • Lower back pain (this pain can sometimes radiate down your legs)
  • Infertility
  • Pain during or after intercourse (Dyspareunia)
  • Painful periods (Dysmenorrhea)
  • Nausea and/or vomititing
  • Stomach cramps
  • Swollen stomach
  • Diarrhea and/or constipation 
  • Painful urination
  • Painful bowel movements
  • Changes in urinary frequency - retention or urgency
  • Spotting or bleeding between periods
  • Fatigue
  • Headaches
Personal experience: My symptoms started with painful periods at 16. I didn't realise something was wrong until 22. My stomach had swollen  and I started having stabbing pains in my lower stomach. Pains would come out of the blue, taking my breath away, making me freeze in one spot and hold my stomach. I've experienced every symptom listed apart from Infertility as have not yet tried to have children.

How is it diagnosed?

The only way to diagnose Endometriosis is by surgery. Normally by a Laparoscopy (keyhole surgery) or a Laparotomy which is more invasive. Biopsies make be taken. Sometimes a surgeon will perform a diagnosis laparoscopy first to see if endometriosis is present then another laparoscopy to remove it. Others do it all at the same time. Ultrasound scans, MRI's or CT scans be may undertaken but cannot be relied upon to diagnose endometriosis.

Personal Experience: The diagnosis and removal of endometriosis cysts and adhesions were performed all at the same time during the laparoscopies I've had. Blood tests, internal exams and ultrasounds showed nothing abnormal.

What treatments are available? How is it managed?

There is no cure for Endometriosis as of yet. However, there are various ways to try and manage it..

There are pain medications available to help keep symptoms at bay. If you are getting mild symptoms doctors may suggest taking over the counter painkillers, e.g paracetamol, ibuprofen or naproxen. If these painkillers do not help, stronger medications may be prescribed. 

Hormone based medicines are also prescribed to help manage endometriosis. These can include the birth control pill to reduce menstrual flow and regulate your cycle. GnRH agonists and antagonists may also be used. This medication reduces the amount of estrogen in your body stops your periods. It puts you into a temporary menopause like state and there are a number of menopausal side effects that come with it. These include hot flushes, night sweats, insomnia, vaginal dryness, bone loss and mood swings. It is recommended to take an add back HRT during this time to help manage such side effects.

Surgery is currently the most effective treatment, carried out through laparoscopy or laparotomy. If a woman's organs are severely damaged a hysterectomy may be suggested to remove the womb and possibly ovaries. This should only be considered as a last resort as a woman cannot become pregnant afterwards.

Personal Experience: I have tried many different medications including the ones listed above. Unfortunately, they do not help my pain. Among others, I have also taken cocodamol, co-dydramol and I am currently taking Tramadol. I received a 6 month treatment of Prostap injections which put me into a temporary menopause after my first surgery. I took calcium tablets to help prevent bone loss and a HRT patch to help side effects.

Common misconceptions?

  • The pill will cure endometriosis.
  • A hysterectomy will cure endometriosis.
  • Getting pregnant will cure endometriosis.

As mentioned above, there is no cure yet for endometriosis. The above points are unfortunately all incorrect. Having a hysterectomy will only stop endometriosis returning to the organs that are removed. This will not cure endo if you have cysts or adhesions elsewhere, e.g. bowel, bladder.

Personal Experience: After my first operation, my surgeon told me the best thing I could do was to get pregnant. During pregnancy some women's symptoms of endo may be alleviated, but it does not cure it!

If you have any further questions, feel free to get in touch!
#MyEndoDiary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endometriosis: Post op

Ok, so I thought I should update you all after my operation on Tuesday.  I have a lot of mixed emotions after the laparoscopy though and I promise to fill you all in soon. I'm sure many of you have felt the same way I'm feeling now so I will post in the near future about all the details. Sharing information is the best way to know we're not alone in this. But for the moment, I'm just getting my head around things and concentrating on recovery. UPDATED: Endometriosis was found in my ovaries as expected and removed. It was also found on my bowel, but it was left untreated. #MyEndoDiary ♡

A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl - 16/04/13

Seeing as I've named my Blog 'My Endo Diary' I've decided to start this project, 'A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl' to portray just a snippet of a day with Endometriosis. Women with Endo are not lazy. Some, such as myself suffer daily pain. Chronic pain. Sometimes mild, sometimes exhausting, sometimes severe. Small things hurt massively. What some people take for granted doing, can take all of my energy. Even down to doing the dishes or making food. Endo is unpredictable. Tomorrow may be a better day. It may be worse. If I look or sound OK one day it doesn't mean I'm better. I'm either hiding the pain from you (I've become quite good at this), having an 'up and down day' (explained below) or on the rare chance having a good day. Every day with Endo for me, is different. However at the moment, they all contain some sort of pain. So here's my first entry. 16/04/13                   5:45am Woken up by Endo pains, stabs in my hips

Endometriosis: When did it all start?

Christmas 2009 is when my life changed. I had always suffered extremely heavy and painful periods. But to me that was normal. I didn't realise then that was a symptom. I was able to manage it. Whether it was wearing two pads, scouring chemists or supermarkets for period pain relief, heat pads, painkillers, holisitc bracelets, taking days off school or spending days in bed. That was my normal. But Christmas 2009 is when more symptoms started coming. Nothing I could put my finger on exactly at the time. I just I knew I didn't feel right. Especially my emotional health. I was so down. With hindsight it must of been changes of my hormone levels as hormones play such a big part in Endometriosis. Looking back, I now know that was the start of the flare. February 2010, I started having stabbing pains in my stomach. I remember the 1st ever time it happened. I was doing normal things. I was actually walking across my landing to get to my bedroom. The pains shot across through my stoma