Skip to main content

The Power Of Twitter & EndoSisters...

The last year and half has been a rollercoaster to say the least. Both physically and mentally. For the majority of it, I went through each day thinking I was going mad. That the pain must have been all in my head because every single test that I had done came back clear. The only obvious result I felt was I getting was that I was going insane. Confusion was an understatement and even to this day there is still a lot of it around. Confusion from doctors not knowing what was causing the pain, ignorance from other doctors not believing I actually did have pain, confusion from test results, from wrong diagnosis and from myself. Just not knowing what to do for the best. Who to go to next for help. Trying to convince myself that what I was experiencing wasn’t ‘normal.’ That I didn’t just have to put up with it. So I spent endless time googling symptoms (…bad idea). Although I still do it now - I cant seem to stop myself! I think I may have a slight addiction.. Free Advice: Trying to self diagnose when your not feeling well and in an emotional state that endo puts you in is not a good idea!! I learned the hard way! Eventually the laparoscopy went ahead and confirmed I had endometriosis. So what was I meant to do now? How would this affect me? My life? How am I going to feel? Happy I knew what it was, saddened by the fact it was endo. Confusion strikes again. I don’t think I’ve ever had so many questions running through my head at once, to which I didn’t know any of the answers. Totally not in control of it and I didn’t like it. It frightened me.

So I turned to twitter. I had been using it for a while before but decided to make a new account. My aim was perhaps a bit selfish to start off with. To start an online diary of my day to day life with endo, how it was affecting me, how I was coping. I also wanted to raise awareness about endometriosis. So many people I talked to had no clue what it was. And if I’m totally honest, neither did I until I was diagnosed. I didn’t know if I would get any followers or if anyone would be in the slightest bit interested in my tweets about endo but I’ve never been so wrong. I have met and talked to some amazing women that totally get how I’m feeling. If I don’t feel the best I only have to put one tweet on and almost instantly I’ll get a reply. If I need advice about symptoms, medicines, tips on anything then the women I’ve met are so open they will tell you all that they know and try and help in anyway possible. Its unbelievable how supportive total strangers can be yet I feel I’ve known them for years. I think it’s because you can say exactly how you feel without being judged. Even on my worst down days when the pain is unbearable and at some points I just want to give up, my endosisters can just say ‘I understand’ or ‘I totally know how you feel.’ Other people can relate to you so much but they don’t actually understand the pain and emotions you go through daily. I never knew by having people on twitter who instantly knew how you’re feeling would help so much. Make me feel supported. That im not going mad after all. Mainly make me realise that I’m not alone. The endosisters I’ve met are so inspirational that even on days when they too may be feeling awful and in terrible pain, they still have time to ask how I am, crack a joke or even share the tears. Many nights I have logged onto twitter with tears strolling down my cheeks and by the time I’ve logged off I’ve been laughing my head off and still giggling later on that day over something we’ve talked about.

So really, I just wanted to thank each and every one of you that’s asked how I am, made me laugh, cried with me, given me advice, tips and support. I've said it many times but setting up this endo twitter account is the best thing I have ever done. It’s made me feel normal again. So thank you so sooo much. I’ll be forever grateful and here to help in any way I can if you ever need it...x
 
#MyEndoDiary

Comments

  1. You are such a nice person...I loved your blog post. I never would have thought I would have found friends on Twitter that experience the same thing I go through everyday. No one understands what I go through and it got so frustrating to even mention my endo pain. Then I found you and some other endo sisters on Twitter and it's good to just let it out and you won't judge me or say I'm complaining because you go through the same thing. I'm glad we are endo sisters. xoxo

    You can follow me @OneLuckyCharm --I'm a great listener!

    www.thecouplesview.com (My website)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that's a lovely thing to say. Thank you so much. Like I said on twitter it means so much to me that ppl are so supportive + its nice we can help each other out in all ways that we can. Just speaking with someone who understands how we feel helps lots. Thank you for reading & following my blog. I'll be sure to follow yours!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right back at you! I started my endo twitter account a few days after my laparoscopy. I am SO thrilled to have met you and all of my other endo sisters. I also feel as if I've known you all my whole life and you've become like my family! Thank you for being such a great friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah ur welcome! :) thanks, yeah ur right its just like a little twitter-endo family. all get together online, have a gossip + put the world to right! i love it + so grateful for it! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very glad our paths have crossed :-)id also like to Thank You for the support you have given me and laughs we have had too!
    At least us #EndoSisters can just be open and honest with each other and know we are not being judged x

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree, endosisters are one of the few groups of people we can be completely honest with. im very glad our paths have crossed too, you've become a good friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!
    I just want to cry reading some of your entries, it's so similar to mine, I can feel so alone, and yes the words "fine thanks" come up a LOT, people who don't have endo don't understand the pain,and the rest of the Sh** that comes with it do they?!
    I've just been diagnosed with IBS too, I have suffered with Endo so much, I've had a year or so free of pain and then the summer just gone I had to take painkillers each day just to get through workdays!! Then a virus hit me in August and BAM!!! I'm feeling like I'm back to the horrible old place I was at the beginning, it's people like you that make me feel "normal" when the tests come back "fine" and I'm meant to be HAPPY with it, but I want to scream!! So thanks again so much for making me feel "normal". I hope to god that you will get things sorted and you will experience longer periods of painfree life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a lovely reply. Made me quite emotional reading it. Im sorry you suffer with the same kind of pains but im so glad you can relate to my posts and they help you in some way. I think with Endo our immune systems are so low, any colds, viruses etc will hit us hard. Knocks you right down doesnt it. Really hope you start to feel a bit stronger & healthier soon x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Endometriosis: Post op

Ok, so I thought I should update you all after my operation on Tuesday.  I have a lot of mixed emotions after the laparoscopy though and I promise to fill you all in soon. I'm sure many of you have felt the same way I'm feeling now so I will post in the near future about all the details. Sharing information is the best way to know we're not alone in this. But for the moment, I'm just getting my head around things and concentrating on recovery. UPDATED: Endometriosis was found in my ovaries as expected and removed. It was also found on my bowel, but it was left untreated. #MyEndoDiary ♡

A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl - 16/04/13

Seeing as I've named my Blog 'My Endo Diary' I've decided to start this project, 'A Day In The Life Of An Endo Girl' to portray just a snippet of a day with Endometriosis. Women with Endo are not lazy. Some, such as myself suffer daily pain. Chronic pain. Sometimes mild, sometimes exhausting, sometimes severe. Small things hurt massively. What some people take for granted doing, can take all of my energy. Even down to doing the dishes or making food. Endo is unpredictable. Tomorrow may be a better day. It may be worse. If I look or sound OK one day it doesn't mean I'm better. I'm either hiding the pain from you (I've become quite good at this), having an 'up and down day' (explained below) or on the rare chance having a good day. Every day with Endo for me, is different. However at the moment, they all contain some sort of pain. So here's my first entry. 16/04/13                   5:45am Woken up by Endo pains, stabs in my hips

Endometriosis: 3rd Time Lucky?

August 25th. This will be the date of my next operation. My third. I have waited 12 months to get this date. Then, out of the blue, I receive a letter from the hospital. With only 12 days notice. In a way, that's good. Less time to stress. But for me, I'll stress no matter what. I'll just cram a year of waiting into 12 days of worry. I'm now down to 7 days. This time next week... Some people may think that knowing what will happen and how the day pans out etc, will be a benefit. A comfort perhaps. For me, it's the complete opposite. I know how emotional I will get. I know the feelings of panic, anxiousness and nervousness will build up. I know at certain points they'll peak and I'll break down. Just before I'm due to go down to theatre I'm guaranteed to start crying. The fear takes over and there's nothing I can do at that point but just trust the doctors and nurses. But that's normal I guess. Third time around, it will not be any